Sunday, December 16, 2012

Comfort Food




As we deal with the recent events...as our hearts and prayers go out, and we know that no words or sentiments can ameliorate what Newton is going through....we try to comfort each other
and perhaps even  seek some comfort and order for
  ourselves amidst  the chaos....



palomasea



On this gray Sunday....
a Donna Hay cook up with dear blog friend  
Dzintra, was just what I needed...


 issue 64




For the main meal....

Harissa Chicken with  Spiced Eggplant
p.42



palomasea

 
 I actually made my own Harissa paste..
Just looked at the ingredients on the tube at the grocery store...
I mixed cayenne, crushed garlic, salt, 
olive oil, cumin, and smoked paprika...
Turned out well, I think... 
The lemon sauce on the eggplan
was a surprising flavor combination, but very yummy...
All of this Mediterranean goodness was served 
on a bed of steamed collard greens...



The real comfort came at dessert....

palomasea

This is Chocolate Three-Milk Cake...(p.139)
topped with a tangy yogurt and vanilla frosting...
Soaked in a combo of condensed and plain milk with melted chocolate...
oh boy.

I modified both recipes a bit so that  
I could use as much of what I already had on hand.

Thank you dear Dzintra...and Donna Hay...


Peace and comfort to all....


 
palomasea
 



Please visit Dzintra's lovely blog to see which luscious meal she prepared....

 Blessings
 

7 comments:

  1. Sweet Irina, I have been away too long and miss your uplifting messages. Our hearts go out to Newtown knowing that it will take a very long time to heal the pain. What sadness I feel for those children, the families and all of us...

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish we could enjoy this TOGETHER. Comfort indeed, is what we all need. Love you dear sister, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks YUMMY! Irina, can I have dessert first? :) Absolutely divine!! BTW, I love your sweet polka dot dishes :)
    Cheers!
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dearest Irina...comfort food indeed! Now I will have to go back re read my issue and have a second look at all the recipes...I will see it now through fresh eyes. How cool to make your own Harissa....I have not had this before and will have a look out for it now! Blessings to you Sweet Friend...Dzintra xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. How has this blog escaped me? I joined today, dear bubbly one :-). I love cooking too especially when we feel we need to do this. I spent yesterday all day in this venture, buying foods, reorganizing the refrigerator, making fresh fruit juices and put into pretty bottles, and today will continue in the kitchen because the chef of the house is MIA, tired of working with food and so I have pick up the work for us both...today I will try to make my organic and raw (delish!) Celestial Chocolate Orbs and package them pretty if I don't eat them all. And other things, crafting and keeping busy as my heart has also gone MIA or has broken altogether, not sure. lady

    ReplyDelete
  6. These, indeed, do sound like verily comforting dishes, especially the dessert!
    Dear Irina, I would love to wish you and your family all the blessings of a magical Christmas season! May your days be filled with love and light. I am grateful to know you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...